Fincham (St. Michael and St. Martin)
FINCHAM (St. Michael and St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Downham, hundred of Clackclose, W. division of Norfolk, 5 miles (E. N. E.) from Downham; containing 807 inhabitants. This parish, which was once divided into the parishes of St. Michael and St. Martin, now consolidated, contains 2968a. 3r. 11p., the whole of which, with the exception of about 60 acres of woodland, is good arable and pasture. A fair for horses and for toys is held on the 3rd of March, and there is also a show of horses on the 9th of August. The living is a rectory and vicarage, valued in the king's books at £17. 6. 8., and in the alternate patronage of the Crown and the Blyth family; impropriator of the vicarage, W. Hebgin, Esq. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £325, and the incumbent's for £675; the glebe comprises 43 acres, with a house. The church of St. Martin is in the later English style, with a lofty embattled tower; the nave is separated from the chancel by a richly-carved screen, and is lighted by a handsome range of clerestory windows. The church of St. Michael was taken down in 1745. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Fincham Hall, now a farmhouse, retains some portions of ancient character.