Finborough, Great (St. Andrew)
FINBOROUGH, GREAT (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union and hundred of Stow, W. division of Suffolk, 2¾ miles (W. by S.) from Stow-Market; containing 467 inhabitants. It comprises by survey 1492 acres; the soil for the most part is a stiff clay, and the surface rises considerably from two streams running through the district. Finborough Hall is a handsome mansion, situated in a well-wooded park, tastefully laid out, and embellished with a sheet of water 140 acres in extent. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 1. 3.; net income, £130, patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Ely. The church, a neat structure in the later English style, contains good monuments. There is a place of worship for Independents.