Filton (St. Peter)
FILTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Clifton, Lower division of the hundred of Berkeley, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 3¾ miles (N. by E.) from Bristol; containing 276 inhabitants. This parish, which takes its name from the family of De Fylton, its ancient proprietors, is pleasantly situated on the road from Bristol to Gloucester, and comprises by survey 1003 acres. Coal is found, though no mines have as yet been opened; and there are pits from which stone is taken for ordinary farming purposes. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £7, and in the gift of Rear-Admiral Poulden: the tithes have been commuted for £145. 6. 8., and the glebe comprises 60 acres. The church is chiefly in the decorated English style, with a square embattled tower crowned by crocketed pinnacles: in the chancel are two ancient paintings, on panel, presented by the rector and wardens of St. John's, Bristol; and the west window is embellished with drapery of stone.