Filleigh (St. Paul)
FILLEIGH (St. Paul), a parish, in the union of South Molton, hundred of Braunton, South Molton and N. divisions of Devon, 3 miles (W. N. W.) from South Molton; containing 395 inhabitants. This parish, which is intersected by the road from South Molton to Barnstaple, comprises by computation 2038 acres, whereof 660 are arable, 1308 meadow and pasture, and 70 woodland; it abounds with varied scenery, enriched with some fine plantations. Castle-hill Park, the splendid mansion of Earl Fortescue, is pleasantly situated on the acclivity of a well-wooded eminence, whose summit is crowned by an artificial ruin of a castle; the grounds contain a beautiful sheet of water. Limestone and hard blue stone, adapted for building, are obtained in the parish. The living is a rectory, consolidated with that of East Buckland, and valued in the king's books at £12. 5. 2½.: the tithes have been commuted for £97, and the glebe comprises 88½ acres. The church was rebuilt on its present site, at the expense of Lord Clinton, in 1732; it contains some interesting monuments, among which is one to Lady Susan Ebrington. The parsonage-house was rebuilt in 1823, by the late Earl Fortescue.