Fifield (St. John the Baptist)
FIFIELD (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Chipping-Norton, hundred of Chadlington, county of Oxford, 4½ miles (N. by W.) from Burford; containing 213 inhabitants. It is partly bounded by the river Evenlode, and comprises by computation 1227 acres, of which 1100 are arable and pasture, and 127 wood. The surface is hilly, and the soil various; the arable land is chiefly stone brash, and the pastures are clayey. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £49; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church is a handsome edifice, with an ancient octagonal tower, and contains some monuments of the families of Golafre and White.