Field-Dalling (St. Andrew)
FIELD-DALLING (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Walsingham, hundred of North Greenhoe, W. division of Norfolk, 5 miles (W. N. W.) from Holt; containing 403 inhabitants. A priory was founded here in the reign of Henry II., by Maude de Harscolye, as a cell to the Cistercian abbey of Savigny, in Normandy; after the suppression of alien houses, it was granted to the Carthusian monastery near Coventry, and subsequently to the priory of Mountgrace. The parish comprises 1619a. 3r. 2p., of which 150 acres are meadow, and the remainder good arable land in high cultivation. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 8. 1¼.; patron, the Rev. E. Bellman; impropriator, the Rev. S. F. Rippingall: the great tithes have been commuted for £302, and the vicarial for £152; the glebe comprises about 29 acres. The church is a handsome structure in the decorated and later styles, with a tower, and contains a fine font. An allotment of 24 acres of land was made to the poor at the inclosure, in 1808.