Fewston (St. Lawrence)
FEWSTON (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the Lower division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding of York; comprising the townships of Blubberhouses, Clifton with Norwood, Fewston, Thurcross, and Great Timble; and containing 2218 inhabitants, of whom 850 are in the township of Fewston, 8 miles (N. by W.) from Otley. This parish, which is on the road from Knaresborough to Skipton, is 15 miles in length and about 6 in average breadth, and comprises by computation 16,600 acres. Little more than one-half is productive; the surface is varied, and the scenery in many situations bold and romantic. There are five flax-mills and a corn-mill; one of the former is very extensive. The village is pleasantly situated in the vale of the Washburn rivulet, which abounds with trout. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5, and in the patronage of the Crown; impropriators, W. Smith, Esq., and the Rev. T. Shann; net income, £150, with a good house, surrounded by 18 acres of glebe. The church, first built in 1167, was burnt down, and the present edifice was erected in 1697, and repaired in 1811. There is a chapel of ease at Thurcross, where are also places of worship for Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans.