Fersfield (St. Andrew)
FERSFIELD (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Guiltcross, hundred of Diss, E. division of Norfolk, 4¼ miles (W. N. W.) from Diss; containing 295 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 1140 acres, chiefly the property of the Duke of Norfolk, who is lord of the manor, which belonged anciently to the family of Du Bois, the supposed founders of the church: the village is situated near the sources of the rivers Waveney and Little Ouse. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 6. 8., and in the gift of Frederick Nassau, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £360, and the glebe comprises 59 acres. The church is in the decorated English style, with a square embattled tower; in two arched recesses are the recumbent figures of a knight and a priest, the former to the memory of Sir Robert, and the latter to William, Du Bois. The church-lands comprise 20 acres, producing £32 per annum. The Rev. Francis Blomefield, the Norfolk historian, was born and buried here.