Ferriby, South (St. Nicholas)
FERRIBY, SOUTH (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Glandford-Brigg, N. division of the wapentake of Yarborough, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 3¼ miles (W. by S.) from Barton-uponHumber; containing 542 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the north by the river Humber, which here receives the waters of the Ancholme; it comprises about 1500 acres, and contains some pits of chalk, used partly for manure. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 17. 6.; net income, £192; patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. The tithes were commuted for 130 acres of land, under an act of inclosure, in 1802, when an allotment of 15 acres was given for the repair of the church, now producing about £30 per annum. The church is an ancient structure, standing north and south, with the tower on the north-east side: during a late repair a beautiful arch in the west wall, and the bases of a range of pillars, were discovered, which had been long concealed, and, no doubt, belonged to an older edifice. There are places of worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists.