Fenton-Culvert, or Great Fenton
FENTON-CULVERT, or Great Fenton, an ecclesiastical district, in the borough and parish of Stokeupon-Trent, N. division of the hundred of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford, 3 miles (E. S. E.) from Newcastle-under-Lyme. The township of Fenton-Culvert contains 3744 inhabitants; and the greater portion of it, and the adjoining township of Fenton-Vivian, form the ecclesiastical district. The soil generally is a stiff clay, producing good wheat; coal and ironstone are wrought, and the manufacture of pottery and china is extensively carried on. The Trent and Mersey canal passes through. Fenton Manor-house is an elegant mansion on the summit of a spacious lawn, with beautiful gardens and pleasure-grounds, and commanding a fine prospect to the south and west. The church was built in 1838, principally by the bounty of the late Ralph Bourne, Esq., who gave £2500 towards its erection, and £1000 for its endowment. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Bishop of Lichfield. There are places of worship for Wesleyans, and Methodists of the New Connexion; and attached to the church is a national school.