Felton, West (St. Michael)
FELTON, WEST (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Oswestry (under a local act), hundred of Oswestry, N. division of Salop, 5 miles (S. E. by E.) from Oswestry; containing 1087 inhabitants. The parish is bounded by the small river Perry and the Ellesmere canal, and intersected by the Holyhead road. It comprises 5985a. 38p.: the surface is generally level, with some gentle undulations; the soil is various, in some parts sand, in some clay, and in others a fertile loam. There is a handsome sheet of water called Sandford Pool. Stone is quarried for building. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £20. 12. 6., and in the gift of the Earl of Craven: the tithes have been commuted for £1000, and the glebe comprises 39 acres. The church was built in 1480. There are places of worship for Independents and other dissenters; and a school conducted on the national plan. In the hamlet of Woolston is a remarkable well, dedicated to St. Winifred. John Dovaston, Esq., a man of considerable literary attainments, was born here in 1740.