Felton (St. Michael)
FELTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Alnwick, comprising the townships of Felton, Elyhaugh, Swarland, Acton with Old Felton, and Greens with Glantlees, in the E. division of Coquetdale ward; and the townships of Bockenfield, Eshott, and East and West Thriston with Shot-haugh, in the E., and Brinkburn South-Side, in the W., division of Morpeth ward; N. division of Northumberland; the whole containing 1585 inhabitants, of whom 623 are in the township of Felton, 9 miles (S.) from Alnwick. The parish consists of 14,687 acres, the soil of which is various, but chiefly incumbent upon strong clay, and well suited for the growth of grain: there are some seams of coal, but none has been wrought of late years. Fairs for cattle, sheep, &c., are held on the first Mondays in May and November. The village is pleasantly situated on a steep acclivity, which rises from the north side of the Coquet river; the houses are built on each side of the great north road, with the exception of a few that branch off at the south end of the village, where the river is crossed by a stone bridge of three arches. King John caused a village here to be burnt, in 1216, as a punishment to the barons of Northumberland, who had done honour on the spot to Alexander, King of Scotland. The living is a vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Long Framlington annexed, valued in the king's books at £3. 13. 4., and in the patronage of the Crown, with a net income of £275; impropriator, Col. Davison. The church stands on an eminence on the north side of the Coquet, which winds beautifully through the parish. There are a place of worship for Wesleyans, and a Roman Catholic chapel.