FELLING, a hamlet, in the chapelry of Heworth, parish of Jarrow, E. division of Chester ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 2 miles (S. E.) from Gateshead, on the road to Sunderland and South Shields. This place is conveniently situated on the south bank of the Tyne, and vessels can lie in safety at its quay. Here are some chemical-works, established in 1834, and in which 300 hands are employed; an oil-mill; an extensive copperas-factory, established a century ago; a brown-paper mill, erected about fifty years since, and two forges for anchors and shovels. Freestone-quarries supply an excellent material for grindstones. Felling is a station of the Brandling Junction railway. The Independents, Primitive Methodists, Methodists of the New Connexion, and Wesleyans, have places of worship, with Sunday schools attached; and there is a neat Roman Catholic chapel, erected in 1841, the site for which, with the cemetery-ground, was presented by William Cayley, Esq.