Felbrigg (St. Margaret)
FELBRIGG (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Erpingham, hundred of North Erpingham, E. division of Norfolk, 3 miles (S. W.) from Cromer; containing 133 inhabitants. It comprises 1467a. 1r. 6p., whereof 681 acres are arable, 477 meadow and pasture, and 308 woodland; about 800 acres were heath and common until 1781, when they were inclosed. The Hall, which stands on a commanding eminence, in a richly-wooded park, is the seat of W. H. Windham, Esq., by whose ancestors it was from time to time considerably enlarged; it is a spacious and handsome mansion, in the style that prevailed in the reign of Henry VIII. The living is a discharged rectory, with the rectories of Aylmarton, Runton, and Metton united, valued in the king's books at £6. 18. 4., and in the patronage of Mr. Windham. The tithes have been commuted for £175. The church is in the decorated and later styles, with a square embattled tower, and contains numerous monuments to the Windham family, one of which is beautifully executed by Nollekens to the memory of William Windham, the profound scholar and distinguished statesman, who died in 1810. On a large marble slab in the nave, is a fine brass representing the figure, in complete armour, of Sir Simon de Felbrigge, who lived in the reign of Henry VI., and was one of the early knights of the Garter.