Featherstone (All Saints)
FEATHERSTONE (All Saints), a parish, partly in the Lower division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, and partly in the Upper division of that of Osgoldcross, union of Barwick (under Gilbert's act), W. riding of York; containing 1065 inhabitants, of whom 318 are in the township of Featherstone, 2 miles (W.) from Pontefract. The parish consists of the townships of Featherstone, Ackton, Whitwood, and Purston-Jaglin; and comprises by computation 4000 acres, of which about 1200 are in the first-named. Coal is abundant, and a good vein is at present in operation at Whitwood, and another at Purston-Jaglin. There are glass-houses and a pottery at the confluence of the Aire and Calder, near Castleford. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 8. 6½.; net income, £256; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Canons of Christ-Church, Oxford. The church is a small ancient edifice, and contains a monument to a descendant of General Fairfax.