Fawley (St. Mary)
FAWLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Henley, hundred of Desborough, county of Buckingham, 3 miles (N. by W.) from Henley; containing 280 inhabitants. Fawley Court was garrisoned by the king's troops in 1642, when many valuable manuscripts and books, the property of its celebrated owner, Sir Bulstrode Whitlock, were destroyed. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 10. 10., and in the gift of the family of Freeman: the tithes have been commuted for £472. 10., and the glebe contains 24 acres, with a house. The church was repaired and fitted up in 1748, at the expense of John Freeman, Esq.; the altar, font, pulpit, and pews, belonged to the chapel at Canons, the seat of the Duke of Chandos.