FAWDON, a township, in the parish of Gosforth, union and W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 4 miles (N. N. W.) from Newcastleupon-Tyne; containing 544 inhabitants. This place gave name to a resident family, of whom was Robert de Fawdon, high sheriff of Northumberland in 1307. It comprises about 515 acres, and is divided into High and Low Fawdon, of which the former contains the chief part of the population, but both owe their rise to the establishment of extensive collieries: in 1801 the number of persons in the township was only 26. The tithes have been commuted for £51. 9. 2. payable to the Bishop, a like sum to the Dean and Chapter, of Carlisle, and £7. 10. to the vicar of Newcastle. In sinking a pit here, a mineralised tree was found.