Faulkbourn (St. Germanus)
FAULKBOURN (St. Germanus), a parish, in the union and hundred of Witham, N. division of Essex, 2 miles (N. W.) from Witham; containing 157 inhabitants. The parish is supposed to have contained a Roman villa, from the remains of a wall constructed partly of Roman bricks, under the foundation of which a silver coin of the Emperor Domitian was discovered. Faulkbourn Hall, the ancient manor-house, is a stately mansion, displaying various styles, with a gateway-tower of early Norman architecture, supposed to have been built in the reign of Stephen. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 13. 4., and in the gift of Jonathan Bullock, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £308, and the glebe comprises 27 acres. The church, finely situated on an eminence within the park, is an ancient edifice with a small spire of wood, and contains several monuments. There are inscriptions on two stones in the chancel to the memory of the Fortescue family: on the north side is a monument to Sir Edward Bullock, with the date 1644; and in the southern part of the chancel is a magnificent monument to John Bullock, Esq., who died in 1740.