Farthinghoe (St. Michael)
FARTHINGHOE (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Brackley, hundred of King's-Sutton, S. division of the county of Northampton, 3½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Brackley; containing 409 inhabitants. The parish is intersected by the road from Banbury to Brackley, and comprises 1423½ acres, whereof two-thirds are rich pasture, and the remainder arable land, the latter upon limestone, and the pasture on a clayey soil. The surface is undulated, and the higher grounds command very extensive views. The river Ouse takes its rise in the glebe land here. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £16; patron, George Rush, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £434, and there are 90 acres of glebe, with a glebe-house, built in 1843. The church is of the 14th century, with a tower of the 15th, and has a good east window with flowing tracery. Capt. Philip Thicknesse, a celebrated tourist and miscellaneous writer, was born here in 1719.