FARRINGTON-GURNEY, a chapelry, in the parish of Chewton-Mendip, union of Clutton, hundred of Chewton, E. division of Somerset, 8¼ miles (N. E. by N.) from Wells; containing 605 inhabitants. This place takes the adjunct to its name from the Gournays, its ancient possessors, of whom Sir Thomas de Gournay was concerned in the murder of Edward II. at Berkeley Castle, for which his estates were confiscated. Farrington has since been annexed to the duchy of Cornwall. A coal-mine is wrought. A new chapel, in the Norman style, was consecrated in December 1844: it has accommodation for 350 persons, in low open seats; the fittings up are in imitation of dark oak, with the exception of the pulpit, altar-piece, and font, which are of Bath stone. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.