Farnsfield (St. Michael)
FARNSFIELD (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Southwell, Southwell division of the wapentake of Thurgarton, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 4 miles (N. W. by W.) from Southwell; containing 1099 inhabitants. The parish comprises 3689a. 1r. 32p.; the village, which is large and well built, is situated on an eminence commanding some fine views over the adjacent country. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the Chapter of the Collegiate Church of Southwell, valued in the king's books at £4. On the inclosure of the parish in 1780, an allotment of 157a. 3r. 15p. was given in lieu of tithes; and there is a glebe of 19a. 3r. 5p. in addition. The church has a square tower, in which are five harmonious bells. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and a school is endowed with a house and land of the annual value of £20.