Farnham-Royal (St. Mary)
FARNHAM-ROYAL (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Eton, hundred of Burnham, county of Buckingham, 4½ miles (N. W.) from Colnbrook; containing, with the hamlets of Hedgerley-Dean and Seer-Green, 1258 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Windsor to Beaconsfield, and comprises by computation 2917 acres; the surface is pleasingly undulated, and the surrounding scenery abounds with interest. The Great Western railway crosses the parish at Salt-Hill. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 16. 0½., and in the gift of Eton College: the tithes have been commuted for £304. 17. 8., and there are about 19 acres of glebe. The church, a plain neat structure, has been almost entirely rebuilt within the last twenty years, and contains a monument to the well-known Jacob Bryant, author of many learned works, who lived and was buried here. At Seer-Green is a chapel of ease. There are places of worship for Independents.