Farndon, East (St. John the Baptist)
FARNDON, EAST (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Market-Harborough, hundred of Rothwell, N. division of the county of Northampton, 2 miles (S. S. W.) from Market-Harborough; containing 250 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated about 1½ mile to the west of the London road, comprises by computation 1471 acres, chiefly pasture; the soil is generally clay, and the surface hilly. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 1. 0½.; net income, £400; patrons, the President and Fellows of St. John's College, Oxford: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1780; the land comprises 325a. 3r. 8p. The church is in the Norman style, with later insertions. The Independents have a place of worship; and a parochial school is supported. There is a mineral spring.