Farndon (St. Chad)
FARNDON (St. Chad), a parish, in the union of Great Boughton, Higher division of the hundred of Broxton, S. division of the county of Chester; containing, with the townships of Barton, Churton, Clutton, and Crewe, 999 inhabitants, of whom 521 are in the township of Farndon, 8 miles (S.) from Chester. This parish is situated on the road to Wrexham, and bounded on the west by the river Dee, which separates it from the county of Denbigh; it comprises 2796a. 1r. 35p., of which 884 acres are in Farndon township. There are some quarries of red sandstone for ordinary uses. The river is navigable for small boats, and over it is a bridge, erected in 1345, formerly of ten arches, whereof eight are still remaining; it affords communication with the borough of Holt. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £115; patron and impropriator, the Marquess of Westminster, whose tithes in Farndon township have been commuted for £104. The church, an ancient structure in the early English style, on a sandstone rock of considerable elevation, was garrisoned in the civil war by the parliamentary forces, and in consequence sustained great injury during the siege of Holt Castle, in 1645; in 1658 it was repaired: it contains some interesting monuments, and has a curious stained window representing several persons who commanded in Chester during the war. A parochial school was erected in 1623. John Speed, the celebrated topographer and historian, was born here in 1552.