Farnborough (St. Botolph)
FARNBOROUGH (St. Botolph), a parish, in the union of Banbury, Burton-Dassett division of the hundred of Kington, S. division of the county of Warwick, 6 miles (N. by W.) from Banbury; containing 367 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the border of Oxfordshire, which bounds it on the east; and comprises 1953a. 2r. 21p., of which 272 acres are arable, 602 meadow, 935 pasture, 20 wood, 24 water, and an acre and a half glebe. The surface presents much broken ground; the soil is of a rich strong quality, and there is a good portion of timber: stone is wrought, chiefly for building cottages, and in the quarries are found a few fossils of the secondary formation. The Oxford canal enters the county near the north boundary of the parish, and the parish is intersected by the road from Banbury to Southam. The village is situated about half a mile to the left of this road. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 12.; patron, W. Holbeach, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £385. 5. payable to the vicar, and £16. 8. 4. to impropriators. The church exhibits specimens of the Norman, early English, and other styles; the south door and font appear to be the oldest parts: a north transept was added in 1839, when the chancel was repaired, and the whole refitted. A school, conducted on the national system, is endowed with £40 per annum.