FARNBOROUGH, a chapelry, in the parish of Chelsfield, union of Bromley, hundred of Ruxley, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, W. division of Kent, 4¼ miles (S. E. by S.) from Bromley; containing 680 inhabitants. The name of this place, a corruption of Fearnberga, is derived from the quantity of fern growing here: it had once a market and two fairs, but the former has been long since disused, and one fair only is now held, on Sept. 12th. The chapelry comprises 1412 acres, of which 257 are woodland. The chapel, dedicated to St. Giles the Abbot, was rebuilt in 1639, in which year the ancient structure was destroyed by a tempest. Farnborough gives the title of Baron to the family of Long, created July 8th, 1826.