FARLINGTON, a parish, in the union of Havant, hundred of Portsdown, Fareham and S. divisions of the county of Southampton, 2 miles (W. by S.) from Havant; containing 793 inhabitants. This parish is divided into two nearly equal parts by the ridge of Portsdown Hill, and comprises by admeasurement 2320 acres, of which 866 are arable, 1036 pasture, and 356 woodland. Part of the land consists of an inclosure from the forest of Bere, in 1815; and about 300 acres were inclosed from Langston Harbour, which bounds the parish on the south and south-east, by the late Peter Taylor, Esq. At the high tide and storm of Nov. 1824, the sea made an irruption, to the great injury of the lands; and a still more violent one occurred in Nov. 1840, covering more than 600 acres during the height of the gale; on which latter occasion, the expense of restoring the embankment amounted to more than £2000. The soil on the northern part of the hill is inferior to that on the south, which is a rich loam, resting upon a stratum of chalk. From the summit, a magnificent view may be obtained. The roads from Portsmouth to London and to Chichester run through the parish. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 13. 4.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. Edward Tew Richards, whose tithes have been commuted for £615, and whose glebe comprises 2 acres, with a house. The church has been recently repaired and beautified, especially the chancel. There is an additional church at Waterloo Ville.