Farleigh, West (All Saints)
FARLEIGH, WEST (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Maidstone, hundred of Twyford, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 3¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Maidstone; containing 403 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1010 acres, of which 380 are arable, 247 meadow, 130 woodland, 138 in hop plantations, and the remainder orchard; the surface rises gradually from the south bank of the river Medway, over which are two bridges. The village has been for centuries the residence of respectable families. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 10. 5.; net income, £459; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Rochester. The church is principally in the early English style, with Norman portions. Two almshouses, endowed with 3½ acres of land, were founded by the Rev. Oliver North, in 1725. Mrs. Ann Goulston, in 1724, left £300 to purchase land for the poor. A Norman cross, in an excellent state of preservation, was discovered in the churchyard in 1832.