FARLEIGH, EAST, a parish, in the union and hundred of Maidstone, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 2½ miles (S. W. by W.) from Maidstone; containing 1377 inhabitants. The parish consists of 2023 acres, and is situated on the river Medway, which is crossed by an ancient stone bridge of five arches, at the entrance to the village. The fertility and beauty of the neighbourhood have obtained for it the designation of the "Garden of Kent;" the soil is peculiarly adapted for the growth of fruit and hops, the former of which is sent in large quantities for the supply of the London markets. There are 313 acres of wood. The Maidstone branch of the South-Eastern railway has a station at this place. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 16. 8., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £858; impropriators, Alex. Randall, Esq., and others. The church was enlarged in 1837; in the tower is a curious Saxon arch. The foundations of a Roman villa were discovered in 1838.