FALLOWFIELD, a township, in the parish of St. John Lee, union of Hexham, S. division of Tindale ward and of Northumberland, 3¼ miles (N.) from Hexham; containing 74 inhabitants. This place is situated to the east of the North Tyne river, and on the road from Hexham to Chollerton; the land is entirely wild moor. A vein of lead-ore was worked in 1835, but the lead was obtained only in small quantities. The hamlet, consisting of cottages, is seated on an eminence. About half a mile south of the remains of the Roman wall here, is a range of rocks, one of which, called Written Cragg, has deeply and legibly inscribed the words, "petra flavi carantini," noticed in the Archæologia Æliana.