FAIRFIELD, a chapelry, in the parish of Hope, union of Chapel-en-le-Frith, hundred of High Peak, N. division of the county of Derby, 1 mile (E. N. E.) from Buxton; containing 599 inhabitants. It is separated from Buxton by the river Wye, and comprises 3914a. 2r. 32p., of which 3377 acres are meadow and pasture, 251 arable, 178 woodland, and 107 water, roads, and waste. The living is a donative curacy; net income, £79; patrons, certain Trustees; impropriator, the Duke of Devonshire, whose tithes have been commuted for £101, those of the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield for £12, and the vicarial for £2. The chapel, dedicated to St. Peter, and rebuilt in 1839, is in the early English style. A school is endowed with £39 per annum.