FAIRBURN, a township, in the parish of Ledsham, union of Preston (under Gilbert's act), Upper division of the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, W. riding of York, 2¼ miles (N. N. W.) from Ferry-Bridge; containing 523 inhabitants. This township, which is situated on the river Aire, comprises about 1380 acres, chiefly the property of Lord Palmerston, who is lord of the manor. The substratum abounds with limestone and alabaster, both of which are quarried to a great extent; kilns have been erected for burning the limestone, and large quantities of lime are sent to various places in the surrounding district. A tunnel 305 yards long has been formed, which extends under the village to the canal communicating with the river Aire. The York and North-Midland railway passes through the place, in an excavation 48 feet in depth, and nearly three-quarters of a mile in length. A church, St. James the Apostle's, was consecrated in Nov. 1846; it is a stone edifice, with some windows of stained glass, but is otherwise a plain and unpretending building. Tithe rent-charges have been awarded amounting to £422. 10., of which £121 are payable to the vicar, and £301. 10. to the Dean and Chapter of York.