FAILSWORTH, a township, in the parish of Manchester, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 4¼ miles (N. E. by E.) from Manchester; containing 3879 inhabitants. The cotton manufacture is carried on in this as in the neighbouring townships. The village lies on the road from Manchester to Oldham; and remains of a Roman road exist. A church district was endowed in 1844 by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners; the living is in the gift of the Crown and the Bishop of Chester, alternately. The first stone of a church, St. John's, was laid in August, 1845, and the building was consecrated in Nov. 1846; it is in the early English style, cost £2400, and contains 807 sittings, whereof three-fourths are free. The dissenters have a place of worship in the township; and there is a national school.