FACEBY, a chapelry, in the parish of Whorlton, union of Stokesley, W. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, N. riding of York, 4½ miles (S. W. by S.) from Stokesley; containing 145 inhabitants. This place appears from Domesday book to have been an inheritance of the crown, and soon after the Conquest was granted by the king to Robert de Brus, lord of Skelton, with whose family it continued for some time, until, male issue failing, the estate passed to the family of de Roos, and thence to the Thwengs, Nevilles, and others. It is in the district called Cleveland, and situated on a branch of the river Leven, near the road from Stokesley to Thirsk, and on the eastern side of Whorl Hill. The chapelry comprises by computation 1370 acres; a considerable portion of the land was undivided common till about 1749, when it was inclosed. The village is small, and irregularly built. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of G. W. Sutton, Esq., with a net income of £52: the chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, is a plain edifice.