Eyton (All Saints)
EYTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Leominster, hundred of Wolphy, county of Hereford, 2 miles (N. W. by N.) from Leominster; containing 149 inhabitants. The family of Hackluyt, the traveller and historian, had a mansion in this parish, and possessed the greater part of the land, in the reign of Elizabeth; his descendant sold the house and a portion of the estate, in 1640, to Robert Weaver, in whose family it has continued to the present time. The parish is partly bounded on the south by the river Lug, and comprises by measurement 938 acres, of which 750 are pasture, 120 arable, and 68 wood; the surface is undulated, and the soil chiefly clay and gravel. The living, formerly a chapelry to Eye, is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £104; patrons and impropriators, the Governors of Lucton school. The church is remarkable for its very singular and handsome rood-loft and screen. Some members of the Kemble family are buried in the churchyard.