Eye (St. Matthew)
EYE (St. Matthew), a parish, in the union and soke of Peterborough, N. division of the county of Northampton, 3¼ miles (N. E.) from Peterborough; containing 1359 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £161; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Peterborough: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1820. The foundation stone of a new church was laid in May 1846, and the edifice, which is in the early English style, was opened in April, 1847. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. At Singlesholt, in the parish, were formerly a chapel and a hermitage.