Eye (St. Peter and St. Paul)
EYE (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Leominster, hundred of Wolphy, county of Hereford, 2½ miles (N.) from Leominster; containing, with the township of Ashton with Eye-Moreton, and the township of Luston, 739 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 3555 acres of land, and is intersected by two roads both leading from Leominster to Ludlow: the Leominster canal, also, passes nearly through its centre; and the projected railway from Shrewsbury to Hereford, for which an act was passed in 1846, is intended to run through the parish. Berrington, the seat of Lord Rodney, was built in 1782, by the Rt. Hon. Thomas Harley, from whom it descended to the present noble owner. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 19. 2., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £317; appropriator, the Bishop of Hereford. The glebe was only an acre of ground, and the glebe-house a small dilapidated building, until the present vicar, the Hon. and Rev. Henry Rodney, came into the possession of the benefice; this gentleman has greatly augmented its value by giving for the residence of his successors the mansion and gardens late the property of the Gorges family. The church is a very ancient structure; the incumbent has presented to it an organ of beautiful tone, and erected a gallery. A school is supported by subscription.