Exning (St. Martin)
EXNING (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Newmarket, hundred of Lackford, W. division of Suffolk, 2 miles (N. W.) from Newmarket; containing 1259 inhabitants. This place was formerly of much greater note than it is at present, and gave birth to Ethelreda, who was daughter of Anna, King of the East Angles, and became the first abbess of Ely. The parish comprises 4932a. 1r. 31p.: there are several remarkable wells, forming the source of the river Burwell. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £13. 7. 6.; net income, £311; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1807. The church, which has a square tower, was built in the fourteenth century; the interior is handsomely decorated, and contains an ancient font. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Some bequests have been made for the repair of the church, and the relief of the poor. Various coins, including a silver coin of Vespasian, have been found.