Exhall (St. Giles)
EXHALL (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of Foleshill, N. division of the county of Warwick, 4 miles (N. by E.) from Coventry, on the road to Leicester; containing 936 inhabitants, about 400 of whom are employed in the manufacture of ribbons. The parish comprises 2031a. 22r. 14p.; there are several coal-mines, and stone applicable for building is found. The Coventry canal runs for a short distance through the parish. The living is a vicarage, with a net income of £143; the patronage belongs to Miss Knightley. The tithes were commuted for land in 1761 and subsequently; the glebe comprises 60 acres. The church, which prior to 1842 was an inconvenient structure, was enlarged in that and the following year, at an expense of £1400, raised by subscription; and the additional sittings, 250, gained by the building of a south aisle, and repewing the older part of the edifice, are all free: the new aisle and porch are in the decorated style, and the nave, chancel, and north aisle have been altered to correspond. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists; also a school with a small endowment.