Ewyas-Harrold (St. Michael)
EWYAS-HARROLD (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Dore, hundred of Webtree, county of Hereford, 12½ miles (S. W.) from Hereford; containing 356 inhabitants. Here was anciently a castle, which, according to Dugdale, was built by William Fitz-Osborne, Earl of Hereford, after the Conquest; but Leland observes that it was probably erected by King Harold, and conferred by him upon an illegitimate son, also named Harold. A prior and small convent of monks settled here about 1100, from the abbey of St. Peter, in Gloucester, and continued till 1358, when the revenue being insufficient for their support, they were again united to the abbey. The parish is situated near the mouth of the river Dore, just before it joins the Munnow, and about a mile from the road between Hereford and Abergavenny. It comprises by computation 1565 acres, of which 1351 are arable, pasture, and meadow, and 214 woodland. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £110; patron, James Hopton, Esq.; appropriator, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is a small ancient edifice, of which all the sittings are free.