Ewhurst (St. Peter and St. Paul)
EWHURST (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Hambledon, Second division of the hundred of Blackheath, W. division of Surrey, 11 miles (S. E.) from Guildford; containing 942 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 5000 acres, of which 3077 are arable, 334 meadow and pasture, 800 woodland, 729 common, and 60 glebe. The soil is generally strong, resting upon clay, but in the higher grounds is of a sandy nature; the surface is undulated, and in some parts rises into considerable elevation. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 7. 3½., and in the patronage of the Crown; the tithes have been commuted for £725, and there is a glebe of 60 acres. The church, chiefly in the early English style, was built in 1838. On a common called the Churt or East Churt, is Holmbury, a large camp supposed to be of Roman construction.