Everton (Holy Trinity)
EVERTON (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of East Retford, North Clay division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 3 miles (S. E. by E.) from Bawtry; containing, with part of the hamlet of Drakeholes, the hamlet of Harwell, and the township of Scaftworth, 1094 inhabitants. The parish comprises 4550 acres, of which 1050 are in Scaftworth; it is on the road between Bawtry and Gainsborough, and is nearly circumscribed by the river Idle. The soil in the eastern portion is clayey, and has a bed of excellent clay for bricks and tiles, the manufacture of which is carried on to a considerable extent; in the western portion the soil inclines to sand, but near the river is an extensive tract of rich and fertile land. The Chesterfield canal passes through the parish on the south-east. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 2. 2.; net income, £209; patron, the Rev. S. W. Hall: the glebe comprises about 120 acres. The church, which is in the early Norman style, has been enlarged. There are a place of worship for Wesleyans, and national schools for boys and girls. At the time of the inclosure of the parish, in 1760, some antiquities were found; and more recently, some Roman coins: it has been thought, that the vestiges of some fortifications in the parish are the remains of a Roman fort or station, by which passed a Roman road.