Evenload (St. Edward)
EVENLOAD (St. Edward), a parish, in the union of Stow-on-the-Wold, Upper division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Blockley and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 3 miles (S. E.) from Moreton-in-theMarsh; containing 325 inhabitants. This place, the name of which in a charter of King Edgar's is written Eowenland, and subsequently Eunilade and Eumlade, is described in Domesday book as appertaining to the church of Worcester, and held by one Hereward, who had five hides. The parish comprises 1454 acres, of which two-thirds are pasture, the produce of the rest being wheat, barley, beans, &c.; the surface is generally flat, and the soil a deep rich loam: the small river Evenload flows through. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 11. 8., and in the patronage of the family of James: the greater portion of the tithes were commuted for land, under the inclosure act, in 1765, and the remainder have recently been commuted for a rent-charge of £54. 7.; the glebe comprises 270 acres, valued at £440 per annum. The church stands on the west side of the village, and is a small ancient structure, with some Norman details; it was repewed in 1837.