Evenley (St. George)
EVENLEY (St. George), a parish, in the union of Brackley, hundred of King's-Sutton, S. division of the county of Northampton, 1 mile (S. by W.) from Brackley; containing 487 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the borders of Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire, being partly bounded on the east by both; it comprises 3104 acres, chiefly arable, and is intersected by the road from Oxford to Northampton: the village is pleasant. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7; net income, £182; patrons, the President and Fellows of Magdalen College, Oxford. Certain tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1779; and the impropriate tithes have since been commuted for a rent-charge of £218, and the vicarial for £67: a glebe-house was built by the incumbent, assisted by the college, in 1833. The church is a small ancient structure, in the early English style, with later additions. A school-house was built in 1834, by the Hon. Mrs. Pierrepont.