Eval, St. (St. Eval)
EVAL, ST. (St. Eval), a parish, in the union of St. Columb Major, hundred of Pyder, E. division of Cornwall, 4½ miles (N. W. by N.) from St. Columb Major; containing 349 inhabitants. The parish is on the coast, and comprises 2704 acres, whereof 864 are waste land or common: the coast is bold, and lined with precipitous and lofty cliffs, in which are numerous caverns accessible at low water; the beach is a firm sand. Slate is quarried; and there are other mines, not wrought at present. A fair is held on the 6th of June. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 13. 4.; net income, £162; patron, the Bishop of Exeter; appropriators, the Dean and Chapter. The church is an ancient edifice, the tower of which, having fallen down, was rebuilt from the foundation in 1727, at an expense of £400, by subscription, to which the merchants of Bristol contributed, in consideration of the benefit derived by their vessels from so conspicuous a landmark. There are places of worship for Bryanites and Wesleyans. Several barrows are discernible on the downs; and the vestiges of an ancient castle may be traced on one of the cliffs almost overhanging the sea.