EUXTON, a chapelry, in the parish and hundred of Leyland, union of Chorley, N. division of Lancashire, 2 miles (W. N. W.) from Chorley; containing 1562 inhabitants. This place was anciently possessed in succession, in whole or in part, by various families, among whom were the barons of Penwortham, the Lacys, Holands, Andertons, Ffaringtons, and Molyneuxs, and subsequently the Longworths, of Liverpool. The manorial rights are now vested in George Johnson Wainwright, Esq., of Runshaw Hall, who owns a large portion of the soil. The township lies on the road between Wigan and Preston, adjoins the township of Leyland on the south, and comprises 1888 acres of land; the surface is rather varied, and the scenery includes views of Rivington Pike, Chorley, &c. There are good stone-quarries, and a cotton-mill employing about 400 persons. The river Yarrow separates the township from Charnock-Richard, and the Bolton and Preston railway and North-Union railway have stations here. Euxton Hall was originally erected in the reign of Henry VIII.; the old mansion was pulled down, and the present built about 1739. Over the portal, and also on two old chimney-pieces in the house, are to be seen the arms of the Molyneuxs and Andertons quartered; William Anderton, Esq., having married Mary, daughter of the fifth viscount Molyneux. The ceilings of the entrance-hall and staircase, richly ornamented by Concillio, are in good preservation, and the mansion has been considerably altered and enlarged by William Ince Anderton, Esq., the present possessor.
The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £150, and a house built in 1840; patrons, the Heirs of the Rev. J. Armetriding; impropriator, Mr. Anderton. The chapel was erected in 1513, was rebuilt in 1710, and enlarged in 1837. The Wesleyans have a place of worship; and attached to Euxton Hall is a Roman Catholic chapel, built by the Anderton family in the last century, and re-edified in 1818. A school is endowed with property producing £26 per annum. A Roman Catholic school-house was built in 1846. Spout, in the township, was formerly the residence of the Bushells; and GleadHill House, now the residence of Peter Priestly, Esq., and Armetriding House, both existed in 1684. On the 14th of August, 1650, Charles II. honoured Euxton Hall with a visit.