Etton (St. Mary)
ETTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Beverley, Hunsley-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York, 4 miles (N. W. by W.) from Beverley; containing 425 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 3700 acres, of which 45 are wood, 150 rich pasture-land, and the remainder arable; the soil is mostly of a chalky quality, and the surface level. The village is situated in a pleasant valley on the Malton road. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £20. 9. 4½.; net income, £853; patron and appropriator, the Archbishop of York; the tithes were commuted for corn-rents, under an inclosure act, in 1818, and there are 40 acres of glebe. The church is in the early English style, with a square tower, and fine western porch.