ESKDALE-SIDE, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Whitby, liberty of Whitby-Strand, N. riding of York, 5½ miles (S. W.) from Whitby; containing 519 inhabitants. This chapelry is beautifully situated, extending for five miles along the south bank of the river Esk, and comprising 2500 acres, of which about 1500 are good arable and pasture land, and the remainder uninclosed moor producing only heath. The surface rises gradually from the Esk to an elevation of 1600 feet, forming one of the highest points of the eastern moors in the county, and inclosing one of the most lovely valleys in the kingdom, through which the Esk pursues its rapid and winding course. There are some large quarries of freestone in operation, and a great abundance of alum rock, which was formerly extensively worked: a considerable bed of stone, containing about fortyfive per cent. of iron, was discovered a few years since, at the western extremity of the township, and the ore, now extensively wrought, is sent to Newcastle to be smelted. The Whitby and Pickering railway passes through the chapelry for more than five miles. The living is a perpetual curacy, with that of Ugglebarnby annexed, and in the patronage of the Rev. William Walker, with a net income of £329; appropriator, the Archbishop of York. The chapel, founded by Roger, abbot of Whitby, about the year 1260, having become ruinous, a very elegant structure was erected on a more commodious site, in 1767, at the expense of Robert Bower, Esq., and his wife and sister, who likewise built a parsonage-house. A second church has been erected at the western extremity of the chapelry, chiefly through the exertions of H. Belcher, Esq., of Whitby. There are numerous springs, most of them containing alum and iron. In the reign of John a small priory was founded here. The place is celebrated for the singular ceremony of the Penny Whittle hedge.