ESHOLT, a township, in the parish of Otley, union of Carlton (under Gilbert's act), Upper division of the wapentake of Skyrack, W. riding of York, 4¼ miles (S. S. W.) from Otley; containing 443 inhabitants. A nunnery was founded here by Simon de Ward, in the middle of the twelfth century, which continued to flourish until the year 1530, when it was suppressed, and its revenue was returned at £19: some small remains still point out the site. The township comprises 810 acres: the village is pleasantly situated on the north side of the Aire. Here are a worsted-mill, a scribbling and fulling mill, and a corn-mill. Esholt Hall, the ancient seat of the Calverleys, is now the property and residence of Crompton Stansfield, Esq. A church was erected in 1839 at the expense of Mr. Stansfield, which is supplied by the vicar, whose curate's stipend is paid by the Pastoral-Aid Society. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.