Erwarton (St. Mary)
ERWARTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the incorporation and hundred of Samford, E. division of Suffolk, 8½ miles (S. S. E.) from Ipswich; containing 199 inhabitants. It comprises by estimation 1220 acres, and is bounded on the south by the navigable river Stour. The living is a rectory, consolidated with that of Woolverstone, valued in the king's books at £10. 13. 4., and in the gift of the Rev. H. D. Berners: the tithes have been commuted for £300, and the glebe consists of 21 acres. The church is an elegant structure, lately repaired and beautified, and contains monuments of the Davillers, Calthrope, and Parker families.